SUU Football

SUU Football
Captains before game against Northen Iowa

Monday, March 19, 2012

Fran is our friend, not our enemy...

So, that dreadful day came: Fran. Everything that I explained in my post a while back about the days before, when you see everybody complaining about doing Fran, all of that happened. It was funny for me to watch it. Anywho, that day came. I was so nervous that entire day, because I know the pain it brings. Not just for one day, but I had the "Fran cough" for an entire week. I still can't laugh without having a wheezy cough at the end. However, this Fran workout was different than usual.

I decided to do the real, true Fran workout. 95 pounds, 21 thrusters, 21 pull-ups, 15 thrusters, 15 pull-ups, nine thrusters, nine pull-ups. the last time I did it, I did a different weight and it was so much easier than the 95 pound workout. There was a time in my pull-ups that I lost strength in my forearms, and I couldn't grip the bar anymore and I fell. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life. Our goal is to get it in 3 minutes and 16 seconds. I kid you not, I finished in 3 minutes and 16 seconds. When I finished, my teammates and a couple coaches around me looked and said, "Wow, you did it in 3:16!" I was amazed and completely drained. I had zero energy left in me.

When we received our shirts at the end of the workout, I was so excited to finally get my shirt. Coach Bennion says my name and then he says, "Tag, we returned a kickoff 99 yards fro a touchdown but you clipped and brought the touchdown back." I didn't know what he was talking about. I looked at him with a half smile, and a half "what the hell are you talking about" face. The rest of the team was confused as well. He proceeded, "You picked the bar up too early, it doesn't count."

My heart instantly dropped. I looked at him and asked desperately, "Are you serious?" I was just lost. The rest of the team looked at me in amazement because we know how hard it is, and I didn't get my shirt. I'm not going to lie, I was mad for the rest of the day. I don't like to be mad, nor do I get mad that often. Today was different. Then I realized, I really screwed up.

This was one of the most difficult ways to learn a lesson I have ever encountered. Coach Bennion taught me something: be perfect. The example he used was straight to the point. That stuff happens. I'm just glad the thing I screwed up on was only for me and the rest of the team. There's nothing worse than letting down your team, and I learned a valuable lesson of being exactly perfect.

I was thankful for my teammates there that day that helped bring my spirits back up. I did the workout in the time given, but started a second early. They know the pain that goes into Fran, so they were amazing when telling me everything is okay and that I did it in time, to not worry too much. I know the type of team we have.

Spring Ball starts today. More blogs to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment